Sunday, September 17, 2006

Captain Harrison!


While on our holiday in Chilliwack, we spent a day at a nearby resort town called Harrison Lake!







I told my little Harrison that the whole town, resort and Yacht Club were all named after him, which really impressed him! However, I do wonder what kind of therapy bill that will leave me with when he's older!?

My Uncle Dwight's brother-in-law owns a boat and keeps it at the Harrison Yacht Club and offered to take us out on the lake, so my Harrison could have a boat ride. So we headed out early on Sat Aug 19 before the water got too choppy to enjoy a ride across the lake. Not only did Harrison get the ride of his life, but he also got the thrill of his life when he got to drive the boat himself! I love this picture of him, he looks so little in the big life jacket! And pretty cute if I do say so myself!

It sure is beautiful around there. He took us to a hidden treasure that one would have to know about in order to find, called Rainbow Falls. It's a short hike from the beach into what looks and feels like a rainforest.


Everything is so green and lush, you can feel the moisture in the air around you before you even get to the falls. I love the sound of water crashing over rock like that and splashing into the stream below, where Harrison splashed in his bare feet in pure delight!

The next day, we went into the city and hung out in the New Westminster Harbour, where they have a mock-up of an old tugboat sitting on the dock for kids (and appearantly adults!) to play in and play "tugboat captain"! Well, we were lucky enough to have a real tugboat captain present, however, try telling him it's not a real tugboat! Here is one of my favorite pictures of Captain Ian at the wheel of the fake (yes captain, she's a fake!) tugboat, while First Mate Harrison struggles to take over the watch!

I am happy to report that the Captain handed over the wheel to the First Mate and it ended peacefully, without a full scale mutany! However, it was touch and go there for a few minutes!!! Notice the real tugboats tied up in the background of the picture. Harrison loved watching all the tugs going by, towing all kinds of interesting cargo up and down that Fraser River! He too thinks he'd like to try his hand at being a tugboat Captain someday. Ian, looks like you've got an apprentice!

We had a great holiday with wonderful weather and fantastic family and we cannot wait to do it again! Harrison kept calling it his "best holiday ever" and I'd have to agree!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberley said...

I'm sorry to say that I could only see the first 2 photos. I'll check again when I get back from holidays. Perhaps by then you will have added another post or two?

October 07, 2006 10:09 a.m.  
Blogger Madame Angela Baggett said...

I could see the first 3 photos, so maybe they're coming on slowly! I enjoyed your tales of the trip... reminds me of a song... lalala on Gilligans island! Your little captain looks right at ease maning that stearing wheel.

October 07, 2006 1:48 p.m.  
Blogger Lady J said...

I can see all the pictures, so hopefully it was just a problem with the blogger server and it's up and running again so everyone can enjoy ALL of the great photos!!! Check back often and be watching for me to catch up with a First Day of School entry coming soon!!!

October 08, 2006 2:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home