Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

My very good highschool friend Angela writes regular column type entries on her Blog (www.heavenlyshudders.blogspot.com) under the same title each time, only changing the Volume number. Since I did just plug her Blog (it's a must to check out!) I am hoping she won't be mad at me for stealing her ingenious idea! So here it is...introducing my new regular column, aptly named "Out Of The Mouths Of Babes" Volume 1. It is fairly self-explanatory.

Since Harrison really started talking nearly a year ago, I've noticed his vocabulary steadily increase along with his comprehension, and his use of language and grammar has exploded. Amazingly enough, he is quite proficient at getting things in the right context, which he's learned from listening to and participating in conversations around him. Here are a few of my favorite examples of some of the things he says to warm my heart and bring a smile to my face daily!

He has his standard repertoire of answers he draws from for daily questions, such as "I think/don't think so" and "I guess/don't guess so" or "I will try/try not to". There's the usual "yes", "no", "maybe" and "sure". And the ever so sweet "sure I can mommy"! Then when he's angry and frustrated (and probably copying me!) he says, "I mean it!" in this frightfully angry tone, as he furrows his brow and pouts! (Is that what I really look like!?)

My absolute favorites would have to be those once in a lifetime moments that steal your heart, and force you to memorize everthing about that moment, like the sound of his little 3 yr old voice and the inflection he uses to emphasis his point~ before it's gone and nothing but a memory. I find myself frozen, savoring that sliver of time that is pure childhood innocence, that will vanish with toddlerhood, only to be replaced by less naive grown-up comments. Those precious spontaneous and in the moment times are too few and become farther between with age, making us cherish them even more when we are blessed with them. Here is one of those awesome moments...

Harrison and his Daddy were playing a game of "hide and chase", where Harrison likes to run and hide and have you chase him when you find him! Daddy decided to mix it up a little and hide on Harrison, but before Harrison could find him Daddy jumped out and startled him, to which Harrison replied, "You almost scared heart out of me Daddy!" How cute is that?! And how perceptive is that?! Every one of us has been startled by something unexpected and felt the physical reaction in our chest.

Last night Harrison was fighting bedtime and looking for any excuse that seemed to be a good one to keep from going to sleep. He told me "I'm wooking for somesing". (looking for something!) When I asked him what that could be, he answered "I don't know yet. That's why I need help! Come and help me." Somehow, searching for something that we had no idea what it could be, seemed like an exercise in futility, especially 1/2 hr past bedtime!!! However, it was pretty cute! (and no it didn't work at extending his bedtime~told him to keep searching in bed and it would come to him!)

This last story is by far my favorite! He was laying on the floor in the living room with his pillow and blanket and not feeling well, when he got up and said to me, "Mommy, I just can't sweep." (sleep) I told him he didn't need to sleep, just some quiet time would do fine. "No Mommy...can't sweep cuz giant meteor falling out of sky and crashing into ocean splashing watey (H2O) everywhey (everywhere)". He blew my mind with that last part! Where does he get this stuff?! Appearantly watching the Discovery Channel will make your child appear smarter than they really are!!! Turns out Harrison had been watching a show about meteors with my Dad, and had decided he wants to be an astronaut when he grows up! And here I thought he was a genius!!! Amazing how much they take in and process when we don't even realize they are paying attention!

All of this out of the mouths of babes....

1 Comments:

Blogger Madame Angela Baggett said...

I love it and am honored you "borrowed" my idea. I may borrow yours right back when Ivan starts to utter cute sayings. ;)

March 17, 2006 7:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home