Friday, March 10, 2006

Budding Scientist





Today we enjoyed a day of fun and learning all wrapped into one as we headed to the Calgary Science Centre! Harrison is just starting to get interested in basic science principles, dinosaurs and outer space. He had so much fun exploring the wonderful world of science through free play, all at his own pace! As you can see from these pictures, once I find something he is keen on it's easy to engage him! Perhaps I should invest in an annual pass, as it looks like there will be plenty more days like this one ahead of us!

There he is riding a red ant~Yeehaw and Giddy Up Cowboy!

He also enjoyed hitting glass jars with different amounts of water in each one to listen to the pitch they make. However from the way he was wailing on those jars I think I have more of a drummer on my hands than a melodic musician!!!

There is a whole section of small plastic PVC-like tubes and couplings that can be linked together to build things. He enjoyed standing them all up in the holes in the floor, making what appeared to be a mini-jail! Please let this be foreshadowing of his police career and not his criminal one!!!

What trip to the science centre would be complete without a walk on the moon?! Here is my little astronaut taking his first steps on the moon! So glad he made the trip home again...I was beginning to miss him!

And there he is looking at a butterfly under the microscope. They also have spiders and larvae at various stages. He loves bugs and anything creeping crawly~he's a boy!!!

Speaking of which, his most favorite part of the whole experience was a new and temporary display they've aptly named Grossology, and it's all about the human body and the smells it makes and the rude noises it's capable of producing!!! Well...what boy can resist a Burp Machine that belts out loud belches?! Or the Toot Noise Maker, where you get to produce authentic "human gas" noises?! They also have a Barf Maker, a Skin Crawling Wall (like a rock climbing wall) complete with hair, blisters, scabs and warts (yuck!) and a Smell Making Machine, where you get a nasty whiff of a human body odour (use your imagination!) and you must guess which repugnant smell it is!!! But my son's favorite was this giant mechanical guy with a faucet for a head and spout for a nose that dripped a giant green Booger while informing you of the many uses of snot!!!

Like I said before, it was learning through play and fun, breaking all conventional teaching methods...but this kid's no conventional kid either!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberley said...

There are times when I almost wish that I had kids. I imagine that a 32 year old would receive fewer stares in the Grossology display when accompanied by a child!

March 12, 2006 2:57 p.m.  
Blogger Madame Angela Baggett said...

Ok Kim, Have I got a deal for you! I had a couple of babysitters who took Jen and I to snow white and the 7 dwarfs once just for fun. Later I found out that they really did want to go. I'm sure they thought taking kids would make it more exciting for them??? or better yet, they wouldn't look too inconspicuous as young single women in a kid's movie. So, all you have to do is borrow someone's else's, then when people see you trying it all out, they will be so impressed that you are leading by example and opening this world to a child!

March 12, 2006 3:17 p.m.  
Blogger Lady J said...

Hey Kim! Whenever you get the urge to go somewhere kid-friendly, just call me...you can have Harrison anytime you like! Heck I'll even pay you to take him off my hands for a couple of hours! Have at'er!!

March 13, 2006 5:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home